Prisonplanet.com Comment: It’s good for you in your food and water though.
April 20, 2010
Farmers in southern Iceland have been racing to protect their animals from being poisoned by volcanic dust.
The animals are at risk of fluoride poisoning if they inhale or ingest the ash, leading to internal bleeding, long-term bone damage and teeth loss.
“The risk is of fluoride poisoning if they breathe or eat too much,” Berglind Hilmarsdottir, a dairy farmer from Nupur, told the AP news agency through a protective white dust mask.
The fluoride in the ash creates acid in the animals’ stomachs, corroding the intestines and causing haemorrhages.
It also binds with calcium in the blood stream and after heavy exposure over a period of days makes bones frail, even causing teeth to crumble.